Riverine LIFE Platform Meeting in Tartu (Estonia)
It was held in the week 9 to 12 September 2014, at the university city of Tartu in Estonia the "Riverine LIFE Platform Meeting", an important moment of presentation discussion and exchange of experiences at international level for the LIFE-Nature projects that are directed specifically actions for the conservation of habitat in fluvial wetlands and for the conservation of the main fish species present in such environments through the creation of fish ladder.
Picture 1 - 2 -- Gallery of photos of the projects presented and participants Riverine LIFE Platform Meeting Tartu - Estonia 9/12/09/2014.
The participants of this meeting come from different sectors (private, public, NGO-s) and will be representing the development of the LIFE programme, the design and delivery of LIFE projects, the expertise of species groups in Europe, and statutory nature conservation bodies. For the Lombardy Region was present Financial Manager David Ilardo for progettoLIFE11 / NAT / IT / 188 CON.FLU.PO. The staff of the LIFE TEAM of Astral EEIG, with the Head of Unit Bent Jepsen, took care of in a perfect way the organization and management of technical / organizational work for the days of the Meeting.
Stimulating and scientifically significant has been the contribution provided by Harald Rosenthal, Paul Bronzes and Joern Gessner of the WSCS (World Sturgeon Conservation Society) which, although invited as observers not directly involved in projects Life at the moment, have offered important technical/scientific causes for reflection of course with reference to issues related to the sturgeon.
Have been then discussed for thematic areas, following the presentation of the various interventions and analyzing a series of themed projects submitted by various countries in the EU that they are carrying out, and in particular:
- Fish ladders: Technical measures used in the construction of fish ladders on artificial and natural barriers, for the target species identified of which you want to ensure or restore the continuity of movement. References and application of laws and regulations that apply to individual countries as a parameter in the construction of fish ladders.
- Monitoring: Approaches and protocols developed for the monitoring of fish stocks occur naturally or related to the activities of reintroduction.
- Quality of the projects: What is expected in terms of sustainable results from the projects that are taking place, especially in light of projections of the possible consequences and expectations for the next 10-20 years after the end of the projects. Possible impact of conflicts of interest in the quality of the flow for the endangered species that live in protected habitats. Preservation and enhancement of the quality of existing habitats for riverine species (apart from the removal of barriers on rivers). Restoring the integrity of the fresh water environments.
- Stakeholder involvement and results dissemination: What are the most efficient methods for the dissemination and explanation of the actions and objectives of the projects carried out or in progress. How to make an added value according to the instructions by ecologists and scientists in maintaining the importance to the local fish populations even after the projects are completed. How to better involve landowners, interest groups and politicians in order to have the flow properties of restoration projects and projects of nature.
- Effectiveness of the actual costs for the actions of Life projects: Analysis and comments on the methodology currently used in order to finance service projects eco-system. How can they be defined? And how could their success be measured?
During the three days of work all these topics have been the subject of exciting opportunities for discussion and exchange of views and experiences of high technical level.
With the various interventions, with thier multimedia contents, have been exhibited the following projects, through which contacts were established that are being finalized as part of the activities under the project CONFLUPO Networking:
LIFE+07 NAT/EE/0000120 “Saving life meanders and oxbow lakes of Emajogi River on Alam-Pedja NATURA 2000 area. HAPPYFISH - ESTONIA
LIFE 10 NAT/SE/000045 “Remediation of migratory barriers in stream crossings” REMIBAR -Svezia
LIFE11NAT/IT/0000188 “Restoring connectivity in Po river basin opening migratory route for Acipensernaccarii* and 10 fish species in Annex II”. CON.FLU.PO - ITALIA
LIFE 10 NAT/DK/000099 “Restoring SòlstedMose - a contribution to the network of Danish raised bogs (7110*) in favourable conservation status”. SMOOTH – DENMARK
LIFE O5/NAT/B/000090 “Restoration of the lowland river system ‘Grote Note’. LIFE GROTE NOTE – BELGIUM
LIFE10NAT/SE/000046 “The thick shelled river mussel (Unio Crassus) brings LIFE + back to rivers. UC4LIFE – SWEDEN
LIFE12/NAT/BG/001011”Conservation and restoration of Natura 2000 rheophilic fish species and their migratory routes in key SCIs in Bulgaria. LIFE FREE FISH – BULGARIA
LIFE05/NAT/DK/000153 ”Urgent actions for the endangered Houting. “Coregonus oxyrhunchus”. HOUTING - DENMARK
LIFE08/NAT/S/266”Restoration of tributaries of the Vindel river combined with monitoring and evaluation of ecological responses of species and habitats. VINDEL – SWEDEN
LIFE09/NAT/DE/000006 ”Optimization of NATURA-2000 habitats in the National Park Eifel”. WALD-WASSER-WILDINS – GERMANY
LIFE11INF/AT/000902 “Joint actions to raise awareness on over exploration of Danube sturgeon in Romania and Bulgaria”. SAVING DANUBE STURGEON – AUSTRIA
LIFE10NAT/SI/000142 “Restoration of the Ljubljanica River corridor and improvement of the river’s flow regime”. LIFE LJUBLIANJCA CONNECTS – SLOVENIA
LIFE09/NAT/ES/000514 “Recovery of populations of Margaritifera margaritifera and galemyspyrenaicus inn the Ulla river basin (Galicia)”. MARGAL ULLA – SPAIN
LIFE09/NAT/D/000008 “The reintroduction of the allis shad to the Rhine system backrounds, objectives and first signs of success” ALOSA ALOSA – GERMANY/FRANCE